Innovative Initiative Fund 2018-19: *Fund Now Open*
The 2018-19 Innovative Initiative Fund accepted applications that relate to the activities of our Global Justice Academy Research Labs and Global Development Academy research themes:
- Conflict, Peace, and Justice
- Urban Justice and Development
- Gender Justice, Rights and Development
- Media and Technology for Justice and Development
- Energy Access and Equality
- Evidence, Measurement, and Indicators
We fund applications with awards of up to £500.
Key Criteria and Guidance
- Innovative processes and outputs that link clearly to one or more of our Research Labs will be central to assessing the merit of applications during the 2018-19 academic year.
- Applications may include funding for refreshments, but the GJA IIF will not provide funding for the purchase of alcoholic beverages.
- Applications may be made by any postgraduate and undergraduate student at the University of Edinburgh, or by any member of staff of the University of Edinburgh. Students should secure a staff sponsor for their application and planned activity.
- Activities, including invited speakers and dinner guests, must have a demonstrable gender balance.
- The Innovative Initiative Fund is designed to support the activities that contribute to the overall objectives of the Global Justice and Global Development Academies. These objectives are to provide:
- A multi- and inter-disciplinary exploration of key global challenges and pathways for achieving justice and/or development.
- A hub for people, centres and networks addressing issues of global justice and development across the University.
- An intellectual meeting place regarding new ideas for a more just world, with the central mission of creating a space where both practical and critical ideas can be generated, deliberated, and applied.
- Increased exchange and partnership with those engaged in justice and international development issues locally and globally beyond the University.
Indicative examples of the types of activities that we expect to support include, but are not limited to: roundtables, workshops, hackathons, exhibitions and creative events, and other avenues for knowledge exchange.
All funded initiatives will acknowledge the support of the GJA and GDA, and provide a short report on the activity for dissemination via the Global Academies websites and blog.
Examples of activities and events supported by the Global Academies through the Innovative Initiative Fund in the past can be found on our blog.
Full terms and conditions are included in the application form. Please read these carefully before applying.
How to Apply
The 2018-19 IIF Fund is now open to new applications.
Click here to download the 2018-19 application form.
Enquiries and completed forms should be emailed to GlobalJustice@ed.ac.uk
Applications are assessed on a rolling basis, and applicants should expect a decision within one month of submission.
Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF): *Fund Now Closed*
Applications to this stream of the GCRF are now closed. We anticipate that the fund will re-open for 2018-19 in Autumn 2018, and will post updates to this page when details are released.
For information only, applications for 2017-18 were open to University of Edinburgh researchers for the GCRF, through Edinburgh Global's Research and Partnership Fund for Low- and Middle-Income Countries.
Support for applicants is available on the Research Support Office pages, including a GCRF Application Toolkit:
If you would like to discuss potential 2018-19 application details informally, please contact us.